Service Representative - Ambulatory Services
Location: San Clemente
Posted on: January 18, 2023
Acts as first point of contact for Kaiser Permanente
members/patients and assists members/patients through registration
process under minimal direct supervision. Practices proper cash
handling and reconciliation processes in accordance with
established policies and guidelines. Member and patient needs
should be the primary focus of one's actions; develops and sustains
productive member/patient relationships. Actively seeks information
to understand member/patient circumstances, problems, expectations,
and needs. Establishes and builds rapport and cooperative
relationships with the public/members/ staff. Responds quickly to
meet member/patient needs and resolve problems using good judgment.
Functionality may differ based upon operational setting.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local
- Customer Service (Greeting, navigating,
- Greets members/patients and provides reception services, to
include directing and assisting members in navigating through the
medical center. Provides wayfinding to appropriate care
locations/departments as availability allows. Provides direction
and instructional guidance to patients who are unable to perform
check-in services independently via KP interactive and emerging
- Provides coordination of services to address member needs
related to benefits, finance and other member services utilizing
- Provides reception for designated area(s); verifies patient's
visit with pre- established appointment scheduling; registers
patients; verifies and selects appropriate insurance coverage
including confirmation of alternate insurance, and assists members
at designated KP interactive and emerging technologies and on all
Kaiser Permanente sponsored electronic devices and
- Provides patient information to family members, following
established patient confidentiality guidelines.
- Provides patients with assistance and education with regard to
the use of KP interactive and emerging technologies.
- Demonstrates flexibility when addressing various member issues
and needs related to operations and member services.
- Follows KP Service Standards.
- General Job Functions:
- Schedules member and non-member appointments and follow-ups, by
telephone, mail, electronically or in person utilizing Kaiser
Permanente's computer systems as directed by provider or
- Ensures current schedules are accurate, makes authorized
changes as appropriate.
- Verifies members' benefits, notifies member of applicable cost
share and updates patients' demographics information to include all
patient registration and billing information. Escalate any issues
- Directs patients to waiting areas. Obtains relevant information
to determine priority appointment time/date, confirms appointment
changes due to cancellations and notifies patients of available
alternate times, schedules/registers for follow up appointments,
tests and procedures.
- -Answers calls and relays messages to staff.
- Distributes questionnaires, various
medical/authorization/insurance forms, patient communication
materials, and completes statistical reports as requested.
- Provides patient instructions as appropriate.
- Performs related clerical duties as required, such as direct
booking, copying, etc.
- Performs related clerical duties in support of Clinic Strategic
Goals and Proactive Office Encounters.
- Provides telephone reception for designated area by screening
and referring incoming calls to appropriate staff; takes and relays
messages; gives out general or procedural information.
- May assist in orienting new employees.
- Maintains courteous relations with patients and staff.
- Follows Labor Management Principals.
- May perform other duties as required.
- Cash Handling
- Follows Kaiser Permanente cash safeguarding and cash handling
policies and procedures.
- Determines and collects appropriate payments for services and
products (where applicable) rendered as required per health plan
coverage and the established fee schedule; informs member of
account balance information; collects and documents in the computer
system receipt of a variety of financial and non-financial forms
and reviews with members as appropriate; directs patients to
- Carries out appropriate cash control procedures of balancing
total revenue received with computer system cash drawer to ensure
accuracy; completes closing process in the computer system and
deposits daily revenue securely in safe.
- Additional duties for Service Representatives in Optical
Services to include:
- Coordinates eyewear for delivery to patient.
- Communicates with the Optical Lab, Contact Lens Distribution
Center, and other Optical Centers to manage eyewear order
- Assists with inventory control procedures.
- Additional duties for Service Representative in Laboratory to
- Explains proper specimen collection to members, rejects
- Assures all pertinent information is entered into system during
- Updates and maintains all necessary logs.
- Accessions laboratory requests in Health Connect/Laboratory
- Maintains all printers - sorts and distributes results from
- Performs pre-analytical phase testing by centrifuging,
separating, bar coding and transporting specimens.Basic
- High School Diploma or GED required.License, Certification,
- N/A -Additional Requirements:
- Experience in using multi-line telephones
- Recent experience in customer service (within the last 3
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and meet
established department performance standards and guidelines.
- Cash handling or equivalent experience (Experience in any job
that handles money or credit/debit cards.)
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Must successfully pass basic computer literacy test and
demonstrate key boarding proficiency.
- Must successfully pass cash handling skills test.
- Must pass Customer Service Assessment test (Clerical w/
Customer Service Assessment). Score must be current (within the
last year). Please contact local HR to make arrangements.
- Experience in medical office background, cashiering and or
equivalent experience and medical terminology
- Knowledge of Kaiser Permanente's computer systems
- Demonstrates ability to deal with internal and external
- Ability to prioritize and multi task. -
- For Optical Department - recent front-line service industry
experience preferred -Note:
- Murrieta MOB open 365 days year/7 days a week.
- Work Holidays.
- Rotate Weekends.
- Work within seniority section.
- Schedule to include rotating weekends, holidays and floating
within the established seniority section.
- This is a temporary position for approximately 3-6months.Job
Schedule: Job Category: Administrative & Support Services
Keywords: Kaiser, San Clemente , Service Representative - Ambulatory Services, Sales , San Clemente, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!